Monday, October 12, 2009

Blog #4

I got a chance to do my nursing interview, and the nurse shared a story with me that I thought others might enjoy.  I know we've all already made the decision to become nurses and the reasons for it, but we may run into others who have not.  This is what she told me:

"I one time met a young lady who told me she was going into nursing.  I asked her why she wanted to go into nursing, and she said she wanted a job that paid good money.  I said to her, 'You have no business going into nursing then.' You need to have a good heart to be a good nurse.  You need other reasons (besides money) to become a nurse.  Often, you are faced with life-threatening situations, and are still paid less than a plumber - you need motivation."

She told me after this, the young lady did end up dropping out of nursing school and finding another line of work.  However, I feel that this is something worth remembering: you need to have some sort of motivation to have this kind of career, whether it is a calling, or a belief, or simply a desire to help others, you must want something out of your job than money.  I have noticed that every single nurse I talk to tells me that "nursing is such a rewarding job."  No nurse mentions how good or bad their pay is, but that their job is worth going to every day. 

1 comment:

  1. Great story! I hope the interview experience was a good one!

    ReplyDelete