Monday, October 12, 2009

Blog #3

This week, I was able to take some vital signs for one of the CNAs on Friday, and doing so, I got to talk to some of the residents a bit more.  One of the ladies started her morning routine by saying Psalm 23, but she forgot it after the first line, so I said it with her.  When we finished she had tears in her eyes, and said, "You know it, too!" She was so happy about having someone taking time to talk to her and pray with her.  It was amazing to see the difference in her, from sad and lonely (looking) to joyful. 
It seemed like through this simple act, I was able to touch this lonely woman's heart.  That is a huge part of nursing, taking care of the patient's spiritual/emotional needs; not just their physical needs.  It reminded me of going through the Gordon's Functional Health Patterns in class.  When the professors mentioned taking care of a person holisticly, I was not exactly sure how I would do that.  Talking about values and beliefs with others has never come easily to me, but when actually in a clinical situation, it just seemed to happen all on its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment