Wow, the first week of clinicals have already gone by, and the second is nearly here! It really is kind of scary to think that we are already five and a half weeks into the semester...
I haven't actually done very much care for my patient, yet, but I am looking forward to getting to work with her. She is going to take a lot of understanding and love, because she has Alzheimer's disease. As a matter of fact, she told the NAC I was shadowing that she didn't want me to take care of her, and she told me to get out of her room before I had even started talking to her. (I found out later that she was afraid she was in a mental institution because of my white coat.)
I have to admit, after the first day, I wished I had a different patient; one that I could talk to and get to know a little bit better. However, after spending a little bit of time with her, I found that she was very grateful to be listened to, even though she didn't really know what she was saying or where she was. She eventually told me that I was "a good kid," which, coming from her, seemed like high praise. I think God will use the time I have with her to teach me patience and to truly care for one of His children.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment